Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Nutella, chips and transformation...

Nutella "a great source of low-gi energy for kids"..... What the hell? Who believes this crap? Obviously many misinformed parents. I have been getting angrier and angrier watching commercials for foods that claim to be healthy when they are in fact extremely detrimental to the health of children and adults alike. There are so many lies being told by large companies who market their highly processed products containing many dangerous preservatives, additives, fillers, colours etc. Not to mention the large amounts of sugar in most products and fat in many.

Foods claiming to be "high energy" are usually filled with what many nutritionists would call "empty calories"- simple carbohydrates (aka sugar), which if not burned up leads to weight gain and the current crisis that is childhood obesity. Kids do not need fun looking, sugar filled products to be happy. If kids get used to eating fresh unprocessed foods as young children and if the rest of the family reinforce this behaviour by doing it themselves, they will not learn to rely on colourful packaging or foods filled with simple sugars and "bad" fats to be satisfied.


We need to take the lead from non-western cultures who give their children the same home prepared, healthy foods that the adults eat. How many other cultures do you think have a "kids menu" in just about every restaurant?? I was in a pub bistro recently for a family dinner. On examination of the menu board I happened across the "kids menu". I had never really twigged just how obscene it is to offer children the range of choices that were on this menu- chicken and chips, chicken nuggets and chips, fish and chips, hamburger and chips, bowl of chips... fried, fat laden, salt laden RUBBISH!! Not a green veggie in sight. How are children supposed to learn how to make the right choices when there is nothing to choose from? Given, the parents could just order a smaller serve of something else healthy on main menu but that is beside the point.


Rant over... I could go on, however I will probably start boring you faithful readers! Ok... that's what has been bugging me for the last week or so- I just haven't bothered to write it down.


I thought I would include a few old "fat photos" to remember just how far I have come and also post a photo of me at goal to show where I want to be. I find this a really great motivational tool.


Me at my biggest 2003

John and me at Mezz and Byron's wedding 2003




Me at the footy 2003

April 2006

Me at Port Fairy March 2006


Run for the Kids 2006 (I was pregnant and didn't know!)

April 2006 (1st and last time we try putting the cat on a lead!)

So there they are... Quite the transformation if I do say so myself! I do not feel like I'm loving myself too much in saying that because I worked so flippin' hard to achieve it. It took 3 years to lose 35kgs- the reason it took that long is because I decided to do it properly. I was not in for a quick fix. I had a LOT of emotional issues to deal with before I could lose the kind of kgs to get me into a healthy weight range. The awesome thing is that the psychological work has already been done now so I know it is not going to take me another 3 years to lose it all again. Hopefully this time I will be able to learn how to maintain the weight loss before getting pregnant again (not on the cards for another 3 years) and then maybe I wont put on so much next time.

I am nearly feeling up to exercise again which is fantastic. I have been getting out for gentle walks and I get puffed out just walking up slight hills! I cannot wait to feel fit again! I am going to enrol Molly in a swimming class designed for 3 month olds which means I have to get into bathers in 2 months! A great incentive to get my act together!!

The last few days my eating has not been as clean as it has been recently however I have still managed to eat around the right amount of points per day (av.) so it will be interestng to see if the scales move next Saturday!

Foodies...

22nd Jan

B. 1 slc wholemeal toast with peanut butter, 1/2 croissant, 1/2 escargot

S. 1 banana, 1 peach, k-time twist

L. Cream of chicken soup with 2 slices wholegrain toast with light butter

S. 2 pastitzis (sp?) and chocolate cake

D. 2 sausages, 1/2 potato, pumpkin, peas, carrot, zucchini, 1 ww icecream

Total: 33.25

23 Jan

B. Ktime twist, 1 banana

S. 1 peach, 1 caramel crown and 10 choc sultanas

L. Egg and salad sandwich with mayo on wholegrain bread, ice tea

S. 4 snack right biscuits, lemonade

D. 3 slices pizza, small serve light and creamy frozen yoghurt

S. Ice cream cake

Total: 31.5

Today

B. Natural muesli with blueberry and vanilla vaalia

S. 1 fruit mince pie and a cup of tea

L. Yakitori chicken don and rice, mineral water

S. 2 choc chip cookies and a cup of tea

D. 1 slice home made pizza and WW chickpea curry ready meal

S. Small serve icecream

Total: 28.5

I think that's enough from me tonight...

Ash

xxx

10 comments:

Leighanne said...

Wow the differences in the photo's are amazing!!!

lisa jane said...

Gosh,I was about to say exactly what leighanne said.The change really is ridiculous ash,you looked much older in your old pictures.
Now that I have my little one i am too horrified at the slops they try and feed our children.Disgusting.

Our house is full of healthy whole foods so I don't mind if we loosen the reigns a little when we eat out,but I hate to think what happens to families who eat out a lot.eeeeekkk!

Tina said...

What a fantastic post. I totally agree about the crap foods you are talking about that our kids get so sucked in by the advertising. Only tonight we were food shopping and I told my daughter that we wouldn't be buying nutella again because it made the list of the highest fat content kids foods and she even commented about how the ads were such lies.

It's good when they can see it for themselves though.

Your photos are amazing. I haven't seen your "fat photos" before and the difference is incredible. You deserve to be very proud of yourself.

Cinders said...

I can never get enough of looking at your before/after photos Ash, they are gold.
Not that I'm happy about Josh's nut allergies but I am happy my household has to be Nutella & Peanut butter free. I really hate that Nutella commercial also and surely they cant think we are stupid enough to believe their bullshit.

Kate said...

WOW Ash, what an amazing transformation! You'll be back at your goal before you know it little hottie!

Totally agree re advertising/meals aimed at kids... those companies/resturants should be ashamed of themselves. Haven't they seen 'Jamie's School dinners'?!!

I always take a box of healthy snacks for felix when we're out - or buy some fruit, like the grapes that day at chaddy! It's VERY rare to be able to buy anything small and healthy for kids when you're out. Although he does like sushi, so that will always be handy when we're at a shoppng centre and we need a quick bite!
Kate xx

Amanda said...

you look fantastic in those photos Ash! It's only a matter of time before you get back to that point, and learn how to maintain it before getting pregnant again.

cranky said...

I cannot - CANNOT - stop laughing at the cat on the lead! It looks well pissed! LOL!!!

I also agree 10000000000% (!) on the children's menus at restaurants - it just encourages kids who are so addicted to sugar, fat and salt, it's hardly surprising they don't enjoy the taste of veggies and fruit. Friends of mine with 4 little kids order themselves 4 mains when they go to out - the kids try a bit of everything, and the kids have learnt that things like chips, biscuits and chocolates are "sometimes" foods. I wish someone had taught me that.

Have to agree with Linda, your photos are gold girl...but I really love your hair in the wedding photo. I would estimate your age there as 27, and 17 when you are skinny! You will be back there hot mumma before you know it!

cranky said...

PS - the four mains feed all 6 of them...

Kate said...

wow wow wow...that is about all I can say!

Jadey said...

I can't see the photos but I know you hae come such a long way.