Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Challenges...

Day 2 "Fresh food challenge"
______________________

After a few suggestions from two loyal readers I have decided to try to make some of the things I am used to buying.
Three things I am going to make this week:

1. Bread! I don't have a breadmaker so this will be quite an experience!
2. Muesli
3. Peanut butter

After reading Kate's post on persuing further study this year (you go girl!!) I have decided to do a course by correspondence. After many years of focussing on health, fitness and weightloss a particular course has caught my eye- Health and fitness magazine writing! It teaches you how to go about getting your writing published (and many other aspects of the job) and I figure I have done so much blogging about different issues that I'd already have a huge amount of material to work with. It's also something I can persue from home around Molly. If I am sucessful and manage to get some writing published, GREAT! But if not, then at least I have spent time learning about an area I am very interested in. I know I have some instant rent a crowd readers in you people!

On that note, where is everyone?? I recieved over 100 emails asking for the address to this blog and I am only getting a few comments from a select group of faithful readers (you know who you are ;))... Now if I am going to be a spectacularly sucessful magazine writer some of you are going to have to come out of the woodwork every now and then!! *lol*

Today has been another very good day food wise. Events today have included 2 lunches out and I haven't strayed from the challenge once!


Foodies:
B. 2 slices grainy bread with leftover beef from last night's roast and slices of cold tomato (6)
L. Teriaki chicken bento box (made to order with fresh ingredients) including broccoli, tofu, rice, chicken and fresh coleslaw (YUMMM!) (7)
D. Ham and salad, 1 hardboiled egg, some low fat cheese (5) and a mango (1.5)
Snacks. Handful mixed nuts and seeds, a big piece of watermelon, a few spoonfuls low fat yoghurt, 1 sushi hand roll (5)

Total:24.5 (will probably have another peach and some more yoghurt tonight)
H20: 2.5 litres
Exercise: more shopping centre strolling



16 comments:

Cassie said...

i love that pic with the strawberry... I wanna bite into a juicy one now!

All the best with the writing course - can't wait to see how it goes.

Kym's Challenge said...

The picture with the fresh fruits, my mouths drooling. Yummy!

Good luck with the bread, can't wait to see how it goes and look forward to your muesli recipe.

Kym

Kate said...

Wow, glad I could be a little inspiration to you Ash! You'll be a great writer - you already are. You know I'll have a read! :)

On the peanut thing, I was very disapointed to realise tonight that for every 10grams of peanuts it's 1 point! Geez, 10grams is nothing! I put 20grams on my thai style homemade noodles (thanks stef!) and was left staring at the packet! LOL. Ahh well. If you do end up making the peanut butter, it will help you spend some extra bf points! ;)
Katie xx

Unknown said...

I know! Peanuts are soooo high in points- I got a shock the 1st time I realised too! However, as you said, I will be able to use them to make up my extra breastfeeding pts.

:)

Chris H said...

Hope you have fun with the writing course, what a good idea. Might even look at doing something myself one of these days, never too old eh?

cranky said...

I've got a good recipe from the Low GI recipe book for muesli - I make it for the man (Chops), and occassionally have it myself (I'm usually stuck on the same breakfast for months at a time! At the moment it's boring toast and vegemite - but low GI toast! lol!)

For each serve you need...
* 1/2 cup rolled oats
* 30 gr mixed nutes (almonds, pecans etc)
* 30 gr dried fruit (I love dried cranberries and apricots)
* 10gr LSA mix

Chops has it with yoghurt...

Leighanne said...

The writing course sounds like so much fun...you will be fantastic at it!!
Good luck with making the bread...the smell of freshly made bread is divine:)

philippa_moore said...

I have a breadmaker you can borrow Ash. It's gathering dust in the kitchen I never use!! heh heh

I will be interested to hear how you go with your fresh food challenge, especially the peanut butter! Yum!!

xoxoxoxox

Liv said...

I'm here - sorry I have been slack at commenting!

I am a peanut butter fanatic. Even the low fat stuff tastes good. I have gone from having full fat peanut butter with marg and honey on white toast to 1 tsp of the low fat stuff on grainy bread. Still divine!

Tina said...

You sound so positive Ash, It's infectious!!

I can't wait to hear of your weigh in result this week. You are on fire.

Look forward to hearing how the bread turns out.

lisa jane said...

hey ash, i just had another idea,maybe you could experiment with making other nut pastes,like macadamia or pecan? Im not really big on Gi or that kinda stuff but I assume some nuts are healthier for you than others.It may not taste like peanut butter but heres to thinking outside the square and trying new things :)

Amanda said...

Studying while Molly is little is a fantastic idea- my Mum did all her post-grad work while my brother and I were small, and having naps during the day. Apparently it got harder when we got older, but you've got a good couple of years to go before that! Good luck!

Kate said...

Hey Ash

Make sure you let us know how the cooking goes! I would love a homemade Peanut Butter Receipe.

xx Kate

Shazam said...

*peers from under some woodwork* ;) good luck with your challenge! you're doing great so far. look forward to reading more about it.

Anonymous said...

What an inspiring post Ash! I'm loving the fresh stuff right now too :o) So easy to do with all the yummy fruits in season.

Can't wait to hear how your cooking goes!

And congrats on the loss too! How fabulous!

xoxo

Jadey said...

Thats great news! Your ambitions sound fabulous I can't believe there is a course specifically for writing in certain fields.

I would love to learn to write as I can't seem to put stories together properly and Jase does really well with it. Quite a bit of his stuff is published.