Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Oh baby baby...

My little girl is skinny.... a bouncy, bubbly, chattery active baby who loves mum's milk, avocado, apple, pear, mashed pumpkin, natural yoghurt and just about anything she is offered... but she's still skinny. Too skinny apparently- according to the health nurse. :(


She has dropped from the 90th percentile to the 10th on her growth curve chart. She has grown in length and head circumferance but just not enough.

I did notice other babies seemed chubbier than her but I have just been putting it down to her being so active and naturally lean.

I feel ok about this but know I need to work on fattening her up. I have been advised to start her on dairy products, ground/shredded meat and to put some olive oil in with some of her food to boost the fat content.

Hmm... hope it works!

Other than that, she is doing very well- the health nurse thought she was particularly cute.. That's really something! Coming from a woman who sees thousands of babies!

Better go and do lower body weights...
In case anyone's interested here's my progress for the week so far and plan for the rest of the week.

Mon: Body attack class (apparently the hardest Les Mills class- go me!) and upper body weights
Tues: 20 mins cardio, yoga and walking around for 2 hours with Molly in the sling
Wed: Rest day
Thurs: Lower body weights
Fri: Upper body weights, 30 mins cardio or a class
Sat: 30 mins cardio or a class
Sun: Rest day

And here's a sample of a days eating at the moment:
B. Porridge with 100% whey protein powder and a dash of skim milk
S. Yoghurt or fruit with some protein
L. Lean chicken or fish with veggies and rice
S. Fruit or yoghurt with protein
D. Veggie soup with beef or chicken and 2 slices of burgen soy lin with a drissle of olive oil or some natural peanut butter
S. Fruit

Ash
xox

7 comments:

CaramelKitKat said...

Thanks for that title. Now I have Britters in my head!

It's amazing how different we all are; right from birth. Molly just might end up being one of those people who finds it hard to gain weight. I could be completely wrong but John looks naturally lean, so maybe Molly inherited his metabolism. It could be worse, my friend's kids got their Dad's big, flat head ("like a Hereford" as my mate says). She is ready to slap the next nurse who ticks her off for not giving her babies tummy time.

That diet of yours looks so healthy, is it making you feel less sluggish? How are you going with all the protein? When I upped mine I initially felt a bit sick - which apparently is not uncommon - but now am fine. Tonight I am having a body composition scan and from that the guy can determine body fat % (eek!) and how much protein etc I should be having. It will be very interesting!

Unknown said...

Ohh she is so cute! wow she has grown!
Go you with the weights!

Yummy Mummy said...

Like CKK.. I too am now humming...

Try not to stress too much about Molly's weight gain. Is she Happy?? Does she sleep well???
I think they are the most important issues.. if she was hungry, she would let you know!
This is just my opinion..

Well done on your lifestyle.. you must feel on top of the world!!

Chris H said...

Your wee girl looks fine to me, maybe she is just growing in height fast and her body is still to catch up! Brylee has always been in the bottom 3%, which is a worry, but she is healthy so I try not to worry too much. I think adding more 'fattening' foods to Molly's diet may help too... but she may just be a small wee girl and there is nothing you can do about that.... try not to worry... as long as she continues to grow at a steady rate.

Kym's Challenge said...

Ash I know how annoying advise and stories can be, but my 7 year old was 8lb 13 born and she is really skinny (I do get offended and upset when people tell her and I that she is Anorexic) and has been from the early clinic days however from an early age she has eaten everything. She is active (a great swimmer and athlete), healthy bright (excellent school results) and strong so I put aside what the health nurse told me, gained confidnece by having her check yearly by her pedeatrician who was alway happy with her development. She is a trully well adjusted confident skinny girl. Stay positive she looks adorable. Your a wonderful mummy.

jac said...

Hi Ash,

Great pics of Molly, very cute!
I have been following the vision nutrition plan (the guys who ran healthy body club for AJ) but am struggling to eat as much protein as i should. I was wondering if you have any tips or advice on what to eat??

Have a great week,
-Jac

jac said...

PS: My blog is livethelifeyoulove.vox.com

: )